My idol. If you haven’t read Slouching Towards Bethlehem, you should. It’s everything.
1) A man grabs a bartender’s ass. She pens an open later on the Internet chastising his behavior. Gothamist calls him for comment, and he breaks into a barrage of curse words and the oh-so-expected, “She’ll never work in this town again.”
The incident reminded me of this post from Brunch Bird, which sets forth her “rules.” My favorite? “You are not due any acknowledgment when you comment on my body or my outfit on the street. I am not a bitch if I flatly ignore you or tell you to stop talking to me.”
2) H&M is killing it right now. This $70 boucle jacket is incredible–it’s so modern and chic. This $30 racerback, crepe dress is the perfect modern basic. And if you love a simple shift, this short-sleeve one in a bold blue is a must have.
3) Six times that Dorothy Parker understood men better than you do.
5) I’m a bit late to the party on the song “32“–a satirical cover of Taylor Swift’s “22”–but it’s something that every woman over 30 can relate to.
7) Power brokers can turn anything into a competition. Washington’s elite are counting daily steps as a matter of personal pride, brandishing their pedometers proudly. My preferred activity monitor? The Misfit Shine.
9) If you need a laugh, Refinery29 has a roundup of the best Missed Connections on Craigslist.
11) In Afghanistan, families without sons often nominate one of their daughters to live as a boy. Bacha Posh escort their sisters in public, attend school, and generally enjoy the societal benefits of being a boy. Time magazine has a story that explores what their lives are like, and how they adjust to living in societies that place more value on women.