1) Why do mothers leave the workforce in droves? Slate believes it’s because they’re rational people who can’t reconcile salaries that barely cover the cost of child care with a desire to keep working. Perhaps this is why the Japanese government, which is desperate to bring women into the workforce, is tackling a lack of child care as part of its economic policy.
2) From the solids to the prints, this $46 Halogen cardigan delivers.
3) Nine West is taking heat for their new ad campaign that advertises shoes for “husband hunting.” Let’s just say that I think their attempt at cheeky humor fell short.
4) Reiss kills me. Sometimes their clothes are so beautiful. Both the Lola and the Leena sheath are everything you want in a basic dress. I love this sleeveless top with a slight flutter sleeve. And these laser-cut Lupin pumps are perfect for a creative office or awesome for a night on the town. (So damn cute.)
6) We talked about black flats yesterday, and then I found these cool bow-front flats from Louise et Cie. The bow is structured, not girly. And the size selection runs from size 4 to size 11.
7) The main female character on one of TV’s most popular shows, The Big Bang Theory, is about to get a real job. “She’s going to start making some money, which will unbalance [the main characters’] relationship as the power shifts,” says the show’s creator.
Glamour wants to know if there’s a good way to tell the story of a man feeling insecure when his partner becomes financially independent, and frankly, I’m not sure there is. But with more female professionals entering the workforce, the shifting power dynamic between the genders is an issue worth discussing.
9) If this resume came across my desk, it would take paramedics and a shot of adrenaline to revive me.
10) If you’re looking for a basic, conservative business suit, Dillard’s has a good selection. This Tahari ASL suit has a clean look to it. With a rolled sleeve jacket, this Gianni Bini suit is youthful but classic, and under-$250. And I’m intrigued by this Alex Gentry suit that can be thrown in the washing machine.
11) Elle offers four tips on “How to Stop Being Late for Everything.”
12) Banana Republic has some lovely blouses right now. This piped cutout top can be worn in any season. This pintuck blouse is elegant and sophisticated. But my favorite top is this tonal animal-print top. (Also in tall and petites.)
13) A good friend recently started a business making custom letterpress stationery. I bought some of her personalized note cards, and I love them. You can add your name, your monogram, your business name or just “thank you.” You can choose the ink color, up to five envelope colors and metallic foil is available at an extra charge. Visit Chez Gagne and enter code CAPHILLSTYLE to save $25 on custom stationery orders through October 1st.