This would be known as my fatal flaw. I’m working on it. Being a good listener is much harder than it looks.
1) August is hell for a practical fashion blogger. Stores are selling sweaters and boots, which no one in the Northern Hemisphere can wear yet. Summer styles are mostly sold out, so posting them will only benefit women of one or two sizes. Some retailers stock clothing suitable for a season they call “pre-fall.” The New York Times tries to answer the question, “When is pre-fall?”
2) These Vince Camuto Florin sandals are one of the most stylish, sexiest, under-$150 shoes that I have ever seen.
3) I’m trying to complete an art wall in my office, so I searched Etsy and found alphonnsine. It sells the cheekiest little quote-prints, and some other wonderful art pieces. This D.C. skyline print is lovely. If you’re snarky, check out this Sartre print and this Bogart print.
4) My current jewelry obsession is Labradorite. I have one bracelet and one ring made with this grey stone that has almost a celestial quality to it. If you want to add a labradorite piece to your wardrobe, I love these delicate Jacquie Aiche studs ($77). This gold and silver ring set is a longtime favorite of mine. But my favorite piece is this layering bangle from Julie Vos.
5) Is this Kazakh volleyball player too beautiful? (I love her mother’s comments at the end. She’s the anti-Kris Jenner.)
6) Three Dots makes chic, fairly affordable jersey-pieces for your off-hours or casual office days. I adore this twist-front skirt for a relaxed, stylish evening look. This shawl collar dress in a sapphire-blue is also amazing. They also offer a plus-size line.
7) It’s an election year, so the season for political humor is just beginning. One of the newest offerings on the altar of satire is Emails from the DCCC, a recreation of what the fundraising e-mails sent from the Democratic party look like. My favorite was the e-mail with a gif of Oprah that just said, “You Mad?”
If this site was called Emails from the NRCC, a pop-up window would appear after you hit submit saying, “You only gave $25, cheapskate? Your neighbor gave $50. I didn’t know he was a better American than you are.”
9) Want a delicious substitute for burgers on the grill? These Tequila Lime Chicken sandwiches are just as satisfying and a bit fancier than your average cheeseburger. If you want a fancier burger, I also love these Barbecue Pork Burgers.
10) Cupcakes and Cashmere advocates the “feel good chemise” as sleepwear. The nightgowns are jersey (comfort) and lacy (sexy). This Eberjey chemise qualifies, as does this under-$50 Natori chemise. Prefer shorts? This Eberjey cami set is sublime.
11) Loverly has 20 Wedding Cakes That Failed so Hard They Won.
12) I recently purchased this Marc Jacobs sculpting powder-foundation brush, and I love it. Flawless application every time with the puffer-cheeks method. For a slightly cheaper option, try this Sephora complexion brush.