Belle’s Weekly Reading: July 25, 2014
Jul 25, 2014
1) I love football. From training camp to the draft, I’m never miss a minute. But it’s an insult to the millions of female fans who love the NFL when the league suspends pot-smokers for an entire season, but a player who beats his fiancee into unconsciousness gets a two-game bench-warming.
The ESPN article linked above mentions nearly a dozen incidents in which small infractions (eating an unapproved protein bar, taking an unapproved fertility drug) yield greater punishments than acts of felony aggravated assault. It’s sick, it’s sad, and it needs to stop.
3) One of the most fascinating things that I read this week was a kottke.org post about pickpockets in New York City. One part Dickens, one part Thomas Crown Affair.
4) I’m trying to finish out the summer in the sandals that I bought last year, but they’re about to fall apart. I’d like to find something for under-$150 that I could wear the rest of this season and next summer. These silver and gold Yosi Samra sandals are awesome. I also like these simple Splendid sandals for $65.
5) If you’re struggling to keep cool in the sweltering heat of summer, Lifehacker has some tips for keeping your bedroom cool and comfortable.
6) To prevent bathroom spills, I moved my Clinique Clarifying Toner and my eye makeup remover to these inexpensive pump bottles from Ulta. So much better than the big bottles. It’s also great for nail polish remover.
7) New York City’s Inclusionary Housing Program helps provide housing for working class residents by giving tax breaks to luxury condo buildings that allocate units for lower-income people. There’s just one problem, the lower-income tenants are supposed to use the “poor door” at the rear of the building. Keep it classy, Manhattan.
9) Need a quick way to clean your engagement ring or other diamond jewelry? How about dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush?
10) BodenUSA is having a great sale. There are more than a few lovely dresses to choose from. I adore this Portland dress with a flirty skirt. Their Alexa dress is a great basic shift. But my favorite piece is this wonderful eyelet dress in white, navy or yellow.
11) Four words for you: Honey Beer-Glazed Carmelized Shallots.
12) A reader sent me the link to this Alessandra Rich dress with the subject line, “In case you need a laugh.” That works.