Belle’s Weekly Reading: July 18, 2014
Jul 18, 2014
1) This Hairpin article, “What happened when we gave our daughter my last name” is fascinating. Some of my friends decided to give their daughter her last name and their son his last name. They didn’t get the kind of pushback the article describes, but they do have to explain why their children have different last names sometimes.
2) If you need something beautiful to look at, this silvery J.Mendel gown yielded an audible gasp.
3) Esquire has a thought-provoking article on pit bulls and the culture of fear that surrounds them. If you love dogs, this is a must read.
4) I’m also done decorating my apartment. I recently purchased this bone-inlay tray from One Kings Lane. I also love this chunky, cable-knit throw. Now, if I could just figure out how to hang these wine glass shelves, the bar would be finished.
5) A Virginia man has claimed a section of land in Africa in order to create a kingdom, so that his daughter can be a real princess. Wonder what he’ll do for her Sweet Sixteen? Or her wedding?
6) Banana Republic has some amazing shoes right now. These simple sandals should be on every late summer wish list. If you want leopard, this is the best under-$125 pump for sale right now. But my favorite shoe is this navy heel with an exaggerated vamp–so sexy.
7) I have love/hate relationship with the blog Cupcakes & Cashmere. But I really loved her recent post on using flea market finds, esp. the idea of using salt cellars to hold rings and earrings.
9) The NYT says scrunchies are making a comeback. It’s okay. I let out a blood-curdling scream too.
10) I’ve developed a sudden need for a flirty, printed summer dress. This French Connection dress is wonderful. Land’s End has an incredible navy dress with a small pink, geometric print. This soft grey and white Tahari Tyra dress is one of the best things I’ve seen all summer.
11) In this week’s episode of Things That Will Make You Laugh at Humanity: People saw a photo of Steven Spielberg on the set of the 1993 hit Jurassic Park and thought he hunted and killed a dinosaur. No, really.
12) A friend of mine wore a short dress to her wedding in May and raved (and I mean, raved) about Michael Kors Leg Shine. She said, “I wanted a lightly bronzed glow. I did not want to look too tan or wear body glitter. The leg shine gave me a fresh-from-Cancun glow. I’ve worn it every day since.”
13) Lastly, The Washington Post has a piece titled, “Our unrealistic views of death, through a doctor’s eyes.” I found the piece to be filled with hard truths, but maybe honest thoughts we need to hear.