1) “The Princess Effect: How women’s magazines demean powerful women, even when they’re trying to celebrate them.” I want to stand outside the Capitol and hold this Politico article over my head like John Cusack with a boom box. When Vanity Fair asked Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand for weight-loss tips, I almost tore the mag in half Hulk-style.
2) I like professional pieces with a little something extra. Zara delivers those pieces in spades. This combined ribbed top with piping on the hems and cuffs is fantastic. I also love these beige, patent leather heels with a zipper trim, also in black. (They’re a must see.) And if you’re already thinking ahead to autumn, don’t miss this burgundy mini-tote with an impeccably sleek shape.
3) Business Insider has a piece on the ways women are treated differently at work. As Corporette pointed out, nothing new here.
4) I have found the best cream lipstick ever. It’s Colour Surge Butter Shine Lipstick from Clinique. Pink-a-boo is the perfect rosy-nude color for the office. If you want a pop of color, Fresh Watermelon is a great shade.
5) I personally hated working from home. I never got as much accomplished as I thought I would. I was distracted easily by a pile of dishes in the sink or the too-easy-temptation of cooking a “quick snack.” Inc. has some tips for telecommuters and people who work from home to keep you on task.
6) This week’s inexpensive handbag comes from Sole Society. It’s the Amerie Zip Hobo and it’s the perfect mix of structure and slouch.
7) PepsiCo. CEO Indra Nooyi swan-dived into the hornet’s nest last week when she deigned to suggest that it’s difficult to balance being a working professional with being a mother. Nearly every headline accuses her of telling women they “can’t have it all.” (I’m so painfully over that phrase, by the way.) Why is the news media all too happy to portray a woman who speaks with candor about the challenges of the work-life balance as a traitor to the cause?
8) This may be the former pageant girl talking, but I really like this dot-print skirt suit from Le Suit. And it’s only $80.
9) As anyone who has ever worked in a large office can attest, your food is not safe in the shared fridge. My butterscotch puddings went AWOL on the regular at my first job. Lifehacker has a few tips on keep thieves at bay.
10) Skinny belts are a great way to add something extra to a simple sheath, here are some under-$40 choices. I love this bow-belt from The Limited. This reversible belt from Express is a versatile choice. And why not indulge in a trend and add a little leopard print from Steve Madden to your summer colors.