Belle’s Weekly Reading: Insomnia Edition
Jun 20, 2014
It’s late, and I’m wired. Helpful. Let’s blog!
1) The fine folks at Mattel have released the “Career of the Year” Barbie for 2014: Entrepeneur Barbie. In addition to the doll, the brand is launching a campaign to encourage young girls to be #unapologetic about having big dreams.
3) It’s June, that means it’s time for the Supreme Court to wrap up its business for the year. There are several important cases that have yet to be decided, Gawker has the list.
4) The Beauty Department has a tutorial on how to apply blush (which I guess I have been doing wrong, ruh roh). I loved their tips on applying cream brush. I’d never seen anyone apply it with a brush before, so I rushed out to pick up a new cream blush and the right kind of brush.
5) Last week, we talked about the salaries of the top fashion and lifestyle bloggers. One of the bloggers discussed in the article, Erin Gates from Elements of Style, has gone on record regarding her real earnings and the reaction to the article.
I also liked this post from The REWM discussing blog earnings and ethics. While I don’t agree with all of her points, I do agree that if you see a piece of clothing or jewelry on a blog, and you like that piece enough to buy it, does it really matter if the blogger got it for free or discounted?
6) I needed a pair of earrings to wear to a wedding reception, so I went immediately to Nordstrom’s under-$50 section. I found these sleek linear drop earrings, and these long drop earrings with semi-precious stones (lots of great colors).
7) Medium.com has a story about Worldreader, a program that supplies Ghanaian children with e-readers. It’s fascinating to read about the benefits and challenges of using technology in the developing world.
8) How much did you love the Lanvin dress from yesterday? Don’t miss this Adam Lippes crepe gown. Sometimes, simpler is better.