Belle’s Weekly Reading: June 19, 2014
Jun 19, 2014
1) Two weeks ago, we talked a little about Impostor Syndrome. One of the biggest symptoms of the disease, saying, “I’m sorry,” for no reason is now the theme of a Pantene commercial. Using gender politics to sell shampoo, I’m not sure how I feel about this.
2) The home decorating continues. I sat on a West Elm gift card for a while before deciding on this reclaimed wood console table. It’s awesome. As for the rest of the apartment, I’ve been toying with the idea of posting some pictures when it’s all done. Well, if it’s ever done.
3) Since cheeseburgers are the base of my food pyramid, I love summer grilling season. Bon Appetit has the 6 Common Burger Cooking Mistakes–and How to Avoid Them. (h/t Cupcakes and Cashmere)
4) This Tibi top in leopard jacquard is just stunning. #dramaintheback
5) Starbucks announced this week that it will partner with Arizona State University to provide interested employees with a free college education. They believe that this move will allow them to hire and retain good quality employees and benefit the company in the long run. A corporation that runs on common sense? Get outta’ town.
*A commenter shared this article that clarifies Starbucks role and it seems things are not all they’re cracked up to be.
6) Last week, I showed you the under-$50 tote bag from Street Level. This week, I have something even better. Do.not.miss this two-tone satchel for Cesca, it’s perfect for every season.
8) White House Black Market (WHBM) is a store that doesn’t get enough hype. Their sale section is always chock a block with good deals, like this black-and-white wrap dress or this green swing jacket. I also like this snake-print pencil skirt for a cool neutral.
9) I don’t know if these are the 35 Dumbest Things That Have Ever Happened, but if you need a good laugh, this Buzzfeed article will help. Just be careful, I face-palmed so many times while reading it that I have a bruise.
On a related note, I once saw #18 happen to an older couple from Texas who were visiting Arlington National Cemetery. My Mom and I still laugh about that one. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes…
10) Red dresses are hot for summer, or just hot in general. If you want to find an inexpensive one, this Tinley Road dress is nice. I also like this boho maxi dress from Madewell. Plus-size? Try this a-line Calvin Klein dress. Petite? Try this Ann Taylor Sidetuck Jersey Dress, also in misses.
11) Could art looted by the Nazis be “hiding” in Europe’s great museums? The Washington Post reports on how the keepers of the great works may be keeping them from their rightful owners.
12) butterLONDON’s Lolly Brights Collection is out for summer. My favorite hues? Ladybird, a tomato red and Chuffed, a fiery orange that’s Everdeen-reminiscent.
13) Hillary Clinton jokes that she almost titled her memoir, “The Scrunchie Chronicles: 112 countries and it’s still about my hair.” This New York Times article uses Clinton’s memoir as a jumping off point for an interesting discussion about how power and appearance collide for the uber-successful woman in the spotlight.
14) And since drooling over something beautiful always brightens my day…inspect for a moment the perfection that is this Lanvin wedding gown, the way the back drapes just so…sublime.