Belle’s Weekly Reading: May 30, 2014
May 30, 2014
If work ethic is the number one thing you need to succeed, resiliency is the second. Don’t get tied up by the mistakes that you’ve made or the failures that you’ve experienced. Too many women look at a big failure or a series of small ones and think that they’re a failure. The truth is that as long as you have the will to keep going, you can choose to restart and move forward.
1) The Washington Post has an article about summer dress codes in professional settings. Yours truly is quoted, and there are some interesting points made about what offices will and won’t allow. They also have an article about “power dressing” in Washington and how it’s moving beyond the basic suit.
3) Several readers have commented or written in to sing the praises of Poppy Barley and their custom made shoes. Some of the readers ordered for weddings, others for every day wear, but everyone loved (LOVED) them.
4) A.L.C is fast becoming one of my favorite brands. This Lucas Satchel looks like the Louis Vuitton Sofia bag for a third of the price. Still pricey, but this is a bag you could carry for the rest of your life, if you were so inclined. It also comes in leopard.
5) Fashionista.com has an interesting piece on how “it” items become trendy, stop being in vogue and how long the journey from on trend to passé takes.
6) This ruffle-back silk tee from Valentino is phenomenal. If you like drama in the back, try this basic tee with an open back from Zara or this pale pink top from H&M. Looking for a dress? Try this Zara dress with two printed fabrics woven together.
7) A diner complained online that waitresses at a local restaurant needed to show more skin. The owner’s response is priceless.
8) I bought these Yosi Samra flat sandals in blush and black and they are one of my favorite purchases this year. They’re adorable, comfortable and they add a little something extra to my black, casual dresses. I also like these $35 dark tan sandals with pink accents from Modcloth.
9) Lean In is still generating a lot of discussion. Glamour magazine has a column from actress Zosia Mamet on why she’s not leaning in. It’s an interesting perspective.
10) If you like the T by Alexander Wang line, The Outnet has the biggest selection that I have ever seen. Plus, it’s all discounted 50-percent-off or more.
11) With the unofficial start of summer behind us, it’s beach season. This fun graphic from The Washington Post tells you which country is across the ocean from you when you’re looking out at the ocean.
12) The last days of the Half-Yearly Sale are upon us. The clothes are selling out quick, so it’s time to focus on the accessories. This embellished belt is to die for, perfect for brightening up an LBD or a pencil skirt. These Melinda Maria station bangles have the look of Ippolita at a greatly reduced price. For an inexpensive thrill, I love this breezy stripe scarf, this bright beaded bracelet, and this fun starburst bangle.