Belle’s Weekly Reading: May 16, 2014
May 16, 2014
1) During our discussion on hair length, a reader left a comment referencing this article from FiveThirtyEight, “Are Businesswomen with Short Hair a Cut Above the Rest?”.
I hope we can grow beyond the notion that successful women need short, straight hair to be taken seriously. It’s like we’re telling women, “Society says long, wavy hair is the coif of sex symbols, so do the opposite if you want to be respected and appreciated in the work place.” Stupid.
2) A B.P. Moveover flat in snakeskin print? It’s like Nordstrom read my mind.
3) As social media expands and companies pay billions for “the next big thing,” is the future of social media secret networks that allow you to share anonymously? Could this be the death of the selfie (oh please, oh please)?
4) Searching for home decor led me to JCPenney. Yes, that JCPenney. They carry Jonathan Adler’s Happy Chic line and most pieces are discounted drastically.
5) Does what women wear to work matter? I hope so. Or else this blog has been a waste of my time. And to think, I could have been knitting.
7) Here’s a fun one from The Washington Post: What your Internet use says about your politics.
8) While I was a big fan of Rainbow Brite, is this ROYGBIV striped scarf from Rose & Rose too much?
9) A decorated Bureau of Prisons employee who attained the highest security clearances while serving the government and voted in every election since 1976 went to apply for a passport and discovered that he wasn’t a citizen. Now, an embarrassed government is trying to
deport punish him. Complicated.
10) Love red wine but not the stains it leaves on your teeth? These wipes promise to help keep your smile from turning Burgundy.
11) If you’re trying to break a bad habit, the best way may be to reshape how you think about yourself.
12) Use code BRSUMMER to save 40-percent-off full-priced items at Banana Republic thru 5/18. Ann Taylor has 40-percent-off with code LOOK40. And The Limited is taking 40-percent-off dresses and skirts.