Belle’s Weekly Reading: April 24, 2014
Apr 24, 2014
I said things were going to be weird around here, right? Well, I’m running the weekly reading on a Thursday simply because I haven’t had a moment to collect my thoughts for a “real” post all week. So there will still be posts tomorrow, just something different from the usual.
What can I say, I’m inscrutable.
1) Last week, Chelsea Clinton announced that she was pregnant. Some of the commentary has taken a dark turn as pundits speculate on what the pregnancy might mean for a Hillary 2016 run. MSNBC offers their thoughts on why much of the coverage is ageist and sexist.
2) This ring is drop.dead.gorgeous.
3) Vulture is running a series of essays on hip-hop’s recent history and its impact on American culture. The first essay is by Questlove, he of The Roots and The Tonight Show, and is titled, “How Hip-Hop Failed Black America.”
4) Printed blouses are on my radar for spring. This cobalt, floral blouse from NYDJ is a great buy at $74. I also love the Dali-like print on this discounted DvF blouse. And despite the cropped shape, the print on this H&M top is fantastic. I’d wear it with a high-waisted skirt.
5) A friend sent me what has to be the most D.C. wedding invite in history. Bring on the copycats.
6) I bought this tunic dress from Athleta to use as a pool cover (also comes in plus-size), and it is cute enough to wear on its own. I can’t wait for the warmer weather.
7) Remember AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)? The pre-Gchat, pre-Facebook college student communication tool? Mashable has the tale of the technology’s rise and fall. AIM is dead, long live AIM.
8) During the move, I really cleaned out my nail polish stash. The must-haves that I had to pack in my suitcase: OPI Red, NARS Tokaido Express (dark purple), Essie Sure Shot (raspberry shimmer) and Deborah Lippmann Daytripper (punchy pink).
9) Bloomberg’s dataview examines mortality trends among Americans. It’s mildly morbid, but completely engrossing.
10) Classic aviators are my sunglasses style of choice, but this summer I’m trying something new. All black Ray-Ban aviators. Kidding, well, half-kidding. I also bought a pair of oversized, Jackie O-inspired sunglasses from Michael Kors.
11) Need some summer reading? Try these 50 novels under 200 pages.