Belle’s Weekly Reading: February 28, 2014
Feb 28, 2014
This Sunday is the Oscar’s ceremony. I’ll be hosting my Red Carpet liveblog on Sunday beginning at 5:30PM EST. We’ll be watching E! (ugh, Seacrest) and critiquing the fashions as they walk down the carpet. I’m so excited to Lupita N’yongo. I can barely stand it.
Until then, enjoy the infographic above cataloguing the dresses of the best actress winners from 1929 til the present.
1) A Cleveland professional started a very successful job bank to help people in the PR/Communications industry find employment. Unfortunately, when job seekers e-mailed her to be granted access to the message board, some of her responses were quite unprofessional and rude. The newspaper called her responses “snarky”, but her replies might be better classified as verbal harassment of people she felt were beneath her.
2) I’m obsessed with these Belargo earrings that mix black metal with clear stones.
3) I love Taco Bell more than any person should, but I’m not sure how I feel about their new breakfast menu. And speaking of fast food, Thrillist has a list of the best items for sale at the nation’s popular fast food chains.
4) Nordstrom has some lovely shoes for sale in the under-$100 price point. Sole Society is offering both a stellar pair of pumps and a pair of light leopard flats with black toe-caps. These black and white Ivanka Trump heels are great for spring dresses. I also like these Vince Camuto snakeskin flats. But my favorite shoes on the Nordstrom site are these hot red ankle straps at $109.
5) You do.not want to miss this article about a 4-year-old girl who designs dresses made out of construction paper and wrapping paper. She’s truly adorable.
7) The new issue of O Magazine discusses tips for decluttering your life. The article was inspired by Oprah’s decision to auction off many of her most-expensive possessions to raise money for her girl’s school in South Africa. While I won’t be giving away anything as pricey as her items, I’ve decided it might be time to start simplifying my life as well.
8) Jimmy Choo Exotic in the pink bottle has been my fragrance of choice for months. I love the spicy fruitiness with just a hint of floral. For the warmer months, they’ve launched a fruitier, brighter scent with grapefruit and black currant that I’m dying to try. I wasn’t much of a perfume wearer until I found Exotic (most fragrances gave me a headache), but I love these.
9) I’m deeply interested in the scandals surrounding Scientology. Vanity Fair has done some excellent reporting on the subject, including their latest piece on the disappearance of Shelly Miscavige, the wife of the church’s leader.
10) Into the Gloss has a report on the must-have beauty products from NYFW. The contraband being snuck backstage and concealed with black tape? Tigi Bed Head Superstar Thickening Mousse. It is now on my shopping list.
11) A young woman wrote an open letter to Nordstrom complaining about the lighting and mirrors in their dressing rooms. She reports that the changing areas are confidence killers that decimate her feelings about her body and diminish her self-esteem.
I’m sure we’ve all had frustrating moments while trying on clothing, but I don’t think you can blame the dressing room for that. Our insecurities live in our heads. I don’t think we can blame a department store for not bringing in mirrors and lighting designed to soothe our bruised self-images. That’s damage we do, or undo, ourselves.