It’s a new year. New possibilities, new opportunities, shiny like a new penny. And thank heavens. Because I don’t know about you, but–personally and professionally–2013 was one of the toughest years of my life. Here’s hoping the archer shoots straight in 2014.
1) Looking to give your career a boost in 2014? The Everygirl has 10 tips for dazzling in a meeting. Stanford Business School professor Margaret A. Neale has great advice on how to ask for a raise the right way. And LeanIn.org has a helpful video on managing your time by multiplying your efforts.
2) This dove grey ombre gown from Alice + Olivia is a showstopper. Don’t miss the back. It’s breathtaking. *slow clap*
3) Jaclyn Day has a hair-curling tutorial, you can’t miss. It’s illustrated with what may be the worst Microsoft Paint drawings in history. However, it will help even the most inept stylist achieve perfect curls with a flat-iron. (I don’t flat-iron often, so I own this compact Sedu instead of a full-size iron.)
4) Since I upgraded to an iPhone 5, I’ve had to update all of my phone accessories. This sweet Mod Dot backup battery is the next extra on my list, and what a pretty little tech accessory it is.
5) I love to cook, but I cannot make an omelette or scramble eggs to save.my.life. Souffle? Bolognese? Beef Wellington? No problem. Basic breakfast a five-year-old could make…I got nothin’.
6) I’m in the mood for shoes. It strikes me about once-a-year. This time, I found these utterly fantastic Dolce Vita ankle straps in snakeskin and cognac. I had to have these insanely gorgeous criss-cross Zara sandals. And I need to pull the trigger on these nude Sam Edelman flats with gold studs before the snow melts.
7) Keeping flowers in your home or on your desk can give your space a lovely boost. This article from Apartment Therapy teaches you how to spice up a simple bouquet from the supermarket or the corner flower stand.
8) A friend bought me this Laura Mercier Smokey Violet Palette for Christmas. It might be the greatest makeup all-in-one that I have ever seen.
9) Does your chilly walk to work have you shivering in your boots? Don’t miss these precious little penguin hand warmers from Walgreen’s. Want to make your own foot and hand warmers?
Follow this tutorial to make them from fabric and rice. You can heat them up in the microwave and stay warm(er) on your commute.
11) WhoWhatWear has the scoop on updating the little black dresses in your closet. So if you own a LBD that could use a bit of fashion-CPR, check out their tips. And if you’re in need of an awesome black dress, don’t miss this backless, short sleeve Zara dress with a hint of metallic sheen.
12) I’m always on the lookout for comfortable gold flats. I find a pair and then, I wear them until they wear out. They go with everything. Right now, I’m looking at these Lucky Brand flats.
13) Despite my respect for Helen Gurley Brown, I will never buy an issue of Cosmo. Why? I hate the teasers on the cover. This satire from Huffington Post perfectly sums up my feelings on the matter.