1) Malala Yousafzai, the young Pakistani girl who was shot by the Taliban for promoting girls’ education, was on Jon Stewart this week, and the clips are amazing. I was so moved by her work that I donated to her foundation The Malala Fund, an organization that promotes female empowerment through education.
2) Gap is selling a black tight that they call “Maximum Heat” and claim will keep you warm on a chilly winter days. I think I’ll just stick with my fleece-lined tights.
3) I’ve been reading a new-to-me blog called Gal Meets Glam that’s worth a read. It’s not professional fashion, but I like the way the author mixes colors and patterns.
4) Zara is selling the most incredible clutch. It is black with a metal frame and winged-ornament for a clasp. And it’s $59. All the gorgeousness of McQueen, a scintilla of the price.
5) House of Cards fans: The show’s co-creator says that the show will only run for two seasons since the leads “like to do movies” more. Can’t remember the last time I wanted to see a Robin Wright or Kevin Spacey film…probably not in this decade. Maybe they should stick to the award-nominated, barrier breaking show?
6) I headed over to the W Hotel on Wednesday for the Man Repeller book release party. C. Wonder had set up an “arm party” shop featuring some fantastic bracelets. I loved this two-tone link bracelet. If you like to blend white and yellow metals, it would be a great piece to help you pull them together. I also like this bejeweled crystal bracelet and this black resin, chain cuff.
7) The best acting that I have ever done is pretending that I like to eat salad. Though these ten farmer’s market salad recipes might make me rethink that.
8) Club Monaco is selling sweaters with a printed silk liner and an open back. They look like you’re wearing a chic, silk blouse under a backless sweater. I think I’m in love with the navy one…or maybe the grey.
9) T-Mobile is changing the rules of cell phone ownership, forcing the other carriers to follow suit. The New York Times has a rundown of all the archaic rules that the network in pink is helping demolish.
10) I found a new YouTube makeup-guru who I am obsessed with, she completely demystified cream blush for me. She uses MAC Cremeblend in the video, but since I’m just starting out, I went with Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in Pink Plum.
That list of salads includes a tasty looking recipe for sesame zucchini noodles–the kind where you physically turn your zucchini into noodles with a julienne peeler. (Also called “zoodles,” a kind of awful, but descriptive name.)
I’m no expert chef but I just bought a julienne peeler and started making these. Recommended! Delicious, cheap and does not take much time. Thumbs up to that recipe from me.
Agreed. I bought a mandoline last year and I love that damn thing. It makes cooking a breeze. No more damn slicing and chopping.
If you like the occasional YouTube makeup tutorial or video, I recently found I Covet Thee and you might like her: https://www.youtube.com/icovetthee
She’s in the UK and also has a great blog: https://www.icovetthee.com
So disappointed about House of Cards.