I was once asked, “If you wrote a memoir, what would it be called?” I half-jokingly answered, “Facepalm: The story of a life spent annoyed.” But last week, my Mother sent me this video from Upworthy, and it has me rethinking what annoys me and why. The video is a snippet from a commencement speech by David Foster Wallace about how to change the way you deal with “boredom, routine and petty frustration.” So I’m trying to remold my way of thinking about the day-in and day-out aspect of life.
1) Elle Magazine put together a “Power Survey” regarding how men and women feel about the workplace and its politics. They covered everything from negotiating starting salaries (89% of people who ask for more money get it, but most women don’t ask) to whether women are more scrutinized than men (both genders say, yes). Definitely worth a read.
2) Could Madewell please stop making nearly all of their dresses in this faux-babydoll cut? If it doesn’t look good on the 95lb model with legs up to her neck, exactly whose figure is this style supposed to flatter?
3) Raise your hand if you were a Girl Scout! The providers of girl power and tasty cookies are experiencing serious financial and organizational problems. The national organization is trying to regroup, but with a 20% drop in membership and a serious lack of willing troop leaders, it may not survive. Here’s hoping they get it together.
4) Need to save money on your dry cleaning bill? Invest in a handheld steamer. I like this Jiffy Esteam model. That and a bottle of Febreeze saves me a fortune.
5) I’ve been wearing my Labradorite cuff to death, so I think I might like to add a lapis cuff to the rotation. I just can’t decide if I want to splurge a little on this Evelyn Knight cuff and all of its twisty goodness, or save my pennies and buy this $22 Blu Bijoux bracelet.
6) I love guacamole, but I rarely make it at home because I can’t eat it all in one sitting, and the idea of eating brown, mushy day-old dip makes me queasy. But the Kitchn has a simple solution to the problem of putrid guac, and you will not believe what it is.
7) The cobblestones were murder on my shoes this year. Five pairs of gorgeous heels and flats look like they’ve been to war on the feet of a Roman Legionnaire. I’m having two pair repaired, but I’ll need a few pairs to get me through fall. I already bought these Ivanka Trump Janie pumps, but I think I might also like to have these gorgeous Matt Bernson black flats with a unique shape and these blue suede shoes with gold details from Louise et Cie. Whose says “necessities” can’t be uber stylish?
8) E at District of Chic has some stunning photos of her recent trip to the Inn at Little Washington. It has me thinking that it might be time to start saving my pennies for a trip to this delightful country inn and its five-star restaurant.
9) For years, I have been a loyal consumer of the C&C California leggings. They’re opaque, they wear well and they’re super soft. But a friend encouraged me to try the Zella ‘Live in’ Leggings and I am sold. Partially because the wider waistband makes them super comfy, but also because the heavier fabric seems to suck things in a bit more, if you know what I mean. They also come in plus-size. And be warned, you may have to size up for a proper fit.
10) I wanted to leave you today with this article: 6 Toxic Relationship Habits Most People Think Are Normal. I found it insightful and instructive without being too judgmental. I’m certainly guilty of a few of them, and it was a good head check.