Belle’s Weekly Roundup: July 19, 2013
Jul 19, 2013
I wanted to take a brief moment to thank all of you for coming to visit the blog each day. For leaving comments. For sending e-mails. For telling friends, interns and family members about the site.
The blog, and the small community of readers that has grown up around it, has been a constant part of my life for nearly five years. And when I sit down on Thursday nights to write this post (which is my favorite, by the way), I feel really glad that I decided to start a blog all those August recesses ago. It hasn’t always been easy, but it’s always been worth it.
1) This sultry KAUFMANFRANCO gown sets my world on fire.
2) The New York Times Magazine featured a long piece about sex on campus written from the perspective of female students. Reaction to the article was heavy and swift. Like with many articles, readers complained that it focused solely on the perspective of heterosexual females. The author talked about why in the Q&A, and expressed her hope that other writers will examine the topic more broadly than she could in 4,800 words.
3) I would like to buy a new handbag, since a few of mine are starting to show their age, but there are just too many great options. Just when I think I’ve picked one, I see another one that I like. The current top contenders are this “tech bag” with a separate iPad pocket, the Minkoff Cupid bag or this Kate Spade Skyler tote. Too many choices.
4) Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat is a product that makeup gurus rave about. I purchased a tube of this miracle highlighter a few years ago, and thinking it was just like under-eye concealer, applied it incorrectly. As you might imagine, I was less than thrilled with the results. Luckily, Into the Gloss has an in-depth tutorial on how to use it correctly for maximum wattage.
5) PBS has created a truly inspired ad campaign that actually makes me want to donate. It features promos for fake reality shows, which, given the premises of some of the shows on TV (“My Cat from Hell”, “My Big Redneck Vacation”), could easily be coming to a DVR near you.
8) After yesterday’s post about summer dresses, a reader suggested I check out Limited, and boy, did I find some cute things. I like this printed dress and this ponte, striped dress with a full skirt. But I think this long black and white ikat print is my favorite. And the best part? Everything is 40% off.
9) I think it might be time to get Netflix. People keep raving about this show “Orange is the New Black” (trailer is NSFW), and I’ve been told that “House of Cards” is a must watch. Subscribers, do you think it’s worth the money?
10) Looking to vamp up your wardrobe? This under-$75, waist-cinching belt from BCBG is the perfect choice to amp up sheath dresses and pencil skirts. Wowza.
11) Kanye West convinced thousands of men to buy a $120 “hip-hop t-shirt.” It looks just like a Hanes white tee, but costs 4,000% more. It would be easy to judge him for being greedy or completely lacking perspective, but remember, this is the man who will be paying child support to Kim Kardashian. He needs every penny he can get his hands on…and a shady Caribbean bank to hide his assets for him.