The quote above is from Fred Rogers, the creator of the greatest children’s television show of all-time, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. On Tuesday, I was having a really bad day, and this list of facts about Mr. Rogers that was published on Buzzfeed really cheered me up. Won’t you be my neighbor?
1) Doctor’s injected a little girl with a genetically modified version of the HIV virus and it killed her cancer. Way to go, science.
2) Now, from that mind-blowing piece of news to an exasperating one. The Subway fast food chain is fighting a legal battle in Wisconsin where the company is being sued because their “footlong” sandwiches may only be 11″ long. I can’t believe that this non-issue is worthy of the court’s time. Pardon me while I try not to make any jokes about how it’s not the length of the sandwich that matters…
3) I love Urban Decay’s Naked 2 Eyeshadow palette, and this tutorial on how to use the Naked shadows to create the perfect glamorous-smoky eye is definitely worth a click. I will definitely be trying that look out soon. And speaking of makeup…
4) Sephora is having a 15th Birthday sale featuring some amazing products priced at under-$15. I especially like the trial-size bottle of Josie Maran Argan Oil. There’s nothing this stuff isn’t good for, I use it on damaged cuticles, dry skin, blemishes and my split ends. It’s a wonder product.
5) Lifehacker has a fascinating post on how thinking about buying something may actually make you happier than buying it. If this is true, what will the credit card companies do when their business plummets?
6) Longtime readers know about my hatred for the retina-searing clothes produced by the Ed Hardy brand, so I particularly enjoyed this article in which the brand’s designer laments that Jon Gosselin, of Jon & Kate, Plus 8 infamy, is the cause for his brand’s demise. Perhaps, I should send Jon Gosselin a fruit basket as a thank you?
7) Now that my pool is finally open, I’ve discovered that I’m in need of some essentials. On my shopping list: this hair color protecting spray to keep my dye job intact, this caftan cover up and these simple metallic flip-flops for the pool deck. I also stocked up on SPF 50 sunscreen. Bring on summer!
8) Speaking of summer, I know that many of us have summer vacations on the books and that means packing. Mimosa Lane has a great post on summer packing essentials. Perhaps, I should do one of my posts on what to pack for a trip? Those are always a crowd pleaser, and they really help me focus my own packing decisions. (I like to pack as light as possible.)
9) My obsession with white seems to be waning, as I develop a new adoration for maxi dresses. I bought one a few weeks ago, and now I feel like I need 10 more. The dress that started this fixation came from Jessica Simpson, I love the way it moves and fits. I’m hoping that this mixed-print dress goes on sale next month, so that I can grab it too. I’m also thinking about buying this loose-fitting jersey dress for my August vacation.
10) Lastly, the best thing I’ve seen this week is Stephen Colbert’s astonishing tribute to his mother Lorna following her recent passing. Grab the tissues, you’ll need them.