+ Look for Less

10th Commandment: February 28

Last day of February…wow.  I feel like I will blink and it will be 2014.

73477751

French Connection Summer Spell Top ($98)

This ethereal wrap blouse in a subtle blush hue is may-jah.  I love the breezy, romantic quality.  If you like the fabric and the color, but not the shape, French Connection also sells a pleated blouse and a colorblock maxi skirt in the same material.

I like wrap blouses, but I’ve never found one that I loved at first sight quite as much as this one.  But this silk peplum, this ivory open wrap, this verdant green number and this structured poplin blouse are also lovely.  And if you’re plus size, I found this faux wrap and this black waterfall blouse.

Check back at 1:oopm for Two Ways to wear this blouse.

1. Terra says:

I love, love this blouse, but I wish it were silk and not polyester. I know clothing prices have been steadily rising, but for nearly $100, I want silk.

I’m quite tempted, but the fact that its polyester cooled me down quite a bit. I’m also fairly busty and I don’t think wrap tops are the best for busty women. I’m small everywhere else, but putting a belt or a tie at that spot on my waist seems to make my chest look really pronounced, which is not a look I’m going for.

February 28, 2013/Reply

I’ve notice a lot of poly-negativity in the comments lately, so I thought I’d just put in my two cents.

Even high end designers like OdlR and Lela Rose are switching from silk to synthetics or a blend of synthetics. Most of the “silk” blouses I own are poly, and it doesn’t bother me a bit. If the fabric feel and the drape is good, I don’t care that it’s not real silk, just like I don’t care when “jersey” isn’t cotton.

• Terra says:

I own some polyester tops as well, but I really like the feel of silk. I know its a quibble, and I have some silk tops from J. Crew that don’t hold up very well and would likely be a little more durable in polyester.

Its not a deal breaker for me, but its something I think about when I consider the prices of certain items. This shirt appears to be selling well, though. Only small sizes left.

• LS says:

This is a little gross, but I’ve noticed that my poly blouses are significantly more “odorous” after one wear than my silk blouses. I assume because the poly doesn’t breathe well. Belle have you (or any readers) noticed this?

February 28, 2013/Reply

I def. notice a bit more odor retention, if you will. I do two things, one men’s deodorant. Sometimes the treacly-scented women’s ones make the problem worse, though I’m interested to try this new stress activated deodorant I’ve seen advertised. Second, dilute a vodka with water 2:1 and spray it on the garment. Way better than Febreeze. https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/03/20/spray-away-smell-with-vodka/

• LS says:

Glad it’s not just me. Thanks for the suggestions! I have steered away from men’s deodorant since most are so manly smelly. I’ve use whatever Degree’s invisible solid is called and it’s not too fragrant. I’ll try the vodka trick! I’ve just been hand washing my poly blouses after each wear which is a pain.

2. Bee says:

Hi Belle, I love your blog and browse your archives when I am bored at work but I’ve noticed lately some of your pictures doesn’t load up anymore. Can it still be fixed?

– your regular blog reader

February 28, 2013/Reply

Are they pictures on new posts or old posts, and what browser are you using?

• Jen R says:

i’ve been having the same problem. they’re pictures on old posts, and i’ve tried viewing them in chrome and IE.

• LS says:

I also have the same problem. I think I commented about it last week. I’ve noticed it on old posts using IE, Firefox, and Safari on my iPhone. Thanks!

February 28, 2013/Reply

The old posts need to be reloaded, and we’re working on that. Let me know if you see it on any of the new (last two weeks) posts.

3. Aisha says:

Hi!

I recently discovered your blog, and I absolutely love it! I have a request – I am quite petite, and I was wondering if you would consider including petite options with your plus size options?

Thanks!

February 28, 2013/Reply

Have you checked out Petite Asian Girl or Alterations Needed? They do an awesome job.

4. SS says:

i am obssessed with this blouse already. I’m a bit worried the pale pink (so beautiful) will wash me out, as I’m so pale I’m practically transluscent!

5. Jssaustintx says:

Ooh la la to these tops. Nuff said.